Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Roots in a Storm

I pull away because I can feel you letting go
I look away because watching you walk away is killing me
I know you don't mean to abandon me
But it's happened too many times before
To trust the words of man
Or listen to false promises
Life is a river
That has swept away many of the leaves I've loved
And caught some of the others in strong currents
But I always seem to be a nearby tree
Helpless yet ever growing
No matter how many leaves drop from my branches
But you
You have become my roots
And without you I cannot survive
Yet with you I am planted where I am
Never moving
Shaking
But swaying in the breezes of a hurricane
And although you are you attached
You feel none of the rain
None of the wind
And none of the lightning
Even when you think you do
You only feel the little drips
That fall as my tears
But one day
I will wither and die
Or be torn away
From my roots
By the strength of the storm
And all you can do
Is stay grounded
And hope for a better
Stronger
More beautiful tree to grow
To replace me

No comments:

Post a Comment