Tuesday, August 31, 2010

"I Will Survive" and "Still I Rise" Essay

"You may shoot me with your words, You may cut me with your eyes, You may kill me with your hatefulness, But still, like air, I'll rise." These famous words spoken years ago by the powerful poet and author, Maya Angelou are spoken with dignity and strength. Her heart pouring out like an overflowing waterfall, we see her persevearance through life and her strength to not let others bring her down. In the same breath, the harsh workds of others are part of what makes stronger.

"At first I was afraid, I was petrified. Kept thinking I could never live without you by my side. But then I spent so mant nights thinking how you did me wrong, and I got strong. And I learned how to get along." These words, also brought forth years ago but by the singer GLoria Gaynor, were sand with the same fiery passion Angelou found within herself upon writing "And Still I Rise." Two powerful pieces of art performed by two very powerful and strong women. These pieces show that these women are strong and independent. They don't let what others say, hurt them or in Gloria's case, what a man does to wrong her, bring them down or leave them depressed.

Both of these works are incredibly inspiring and these women are admirable. Strength is something you've got to have in order to survive in today's society. "I Will Survive" and "Still I Rise" are written on the same foundation; the fact that what other people do can effect you. It's up to you whether it breaks you or makes you stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment