Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Grave Visit(I Miss You)

A long road it seems
Two gravel lines
Tell the tale of visitors before
Driving slowly
Along that gravel road
That has brought so many to tears so many times.
Hop out of the van
Search, look, breathe
The secret unveiled
By a sister so solid
Breathe, walk, breathe
Step, step
Each heartbeat quickens
As gradually I come to a hault
Look, breathe,
Inhale, exhale
Stand.
Pressing waters create heavy eyes
As I hold my waist
Holding back
Myself and my tears
Don't cry
Be strong
Breathe...breathe.
One tear slips
Then millions more
Cover my mouth
Walk, if I can
To mother's side
Where she too, hold's back tears
Hold her while she holds me
My tears are waterfalls
That crash into white rapids
And flow like a flooded ocean.
Can't stop
Have to stop
Won't stop
I can't make them stop
Wipe the eyes
Back away
Look again
Beathe
Just breathe.
Fix the hoody
Compose yourself
Turn and return to the van.
Rumage through my purse
Sharpie
Silver
Paper?
Only papertowels
Write, if I can
Stuff papertowel in pocket
Return to the group.
Stand, if I can
They say goodbye
Watch them walk away
Secure your heart
Breathe
Retrieve the papertowel
Uncrumple it
Read it once more
Pick up one of three angels
Who rest and guard her grave
Place the papertowel under the angel
Put angel back
Look
Try to smile..fail.
Sniffle
Breathe
Walk away
Hop in van
Drive away
Watch her vanish through the back windshield
Breathe
Wipe more tears
Put on music on phone
Come Thou Fount
Piano solo version
Breathe
Look back again
Drive through those black gates
Breathe...breathe.
Envision the papertowel
"I miss you <3 Ebby"
Think, if I can
I miss you...
I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment