Saturday, August 22, 2009

Another Story

"There's nothing I wouldn't do for one more night-for things to be the way they used to be, you know?" I paused. "Well, I know. I talked to him earlier today..just a few hours ago." Another pause. "Mianna Rae! How many times do I have to-Mykel! Look, I'm gonna have to call you tomorrow, okay? Bye." I hung up my cell and walked into the living room.
"Will you two calm down? I was on the phone with Aunt Taeya." I returned to the kitchen and grabbed the plate of freshly cut granny smith apple slices and the container of caramel dip. I went to the living room and sat down as my two children huddled around me anxious for their bedtime snack. On the floor, Mianna laid on her tummy and tucked her chestnut brown curls behind her ears, while Mykel sat quietly fidgeting on the other side of me.
I opened the dip and they each took one slice as did I. I looked at Mianna and she nodded then spoke:
"Dear Jesus, please bless this food to our bodies so we can be healthy and strong. Amen." I couldn't help but smile. Mianna is only four years old and wants to be an actress. Mykel on the other hand, is now six years of age and wants to be a combat fighter(I wish he would dip in on Mianna's dream and do action movies instead). These two are my inspiration. My reason for living. And oh how cliche it sounds, but it's true. These two are my muses. They inspire every story I write and every poem I jot down in my journal at the end of the day. What would I EVER do without them. It's a question I try not to think on too often.
As we continued eating our apples and caramel, I looked out the big window in front of me where the shades were drawn. I almost jumped to be completely honest. I saw a face and it took me a moment to figure out who it was. A hand waved and my heart went back to it's resting place. I pointed to the side door as I stood and began walking through the kitchen.
I reached the door and opened it(a bit to my surprise might I add) with a dazed and confused smile on my face.
"Hey hun. He began with a smile. "I was in the neighborhood and figured I'd stop by. I saw the kids..are you busy?"
"Oh, no. Uh, I was just getting ready to, um, "I looked down and hid the half-eaten apple slice behind my back quickly. "get them to bed, actually."
"Oh, well, do you want me to come back tomorrow, or..."
"Oh, no it's fine. A friend of mine is here for the night actually. Did you wanna..?" I pointed to the sidewalk out front.
"Do you mind? I was thinking maybe a walk. We could talk and catch up a little. I mean, if that's ok, I don't wanna disturb-"
"It's fine.Hold on, let me get my coat and ask A if she'll put them to bed for me." I hurried into the living room to check on the kids, then up stairs and around the corner into a pale pink room to find Adrea sitting on her plush pink comforter looking through the TV Guide. She looked up at me and smiled.
"Hey Tay, what's up?"
"Um, Tylor's at the door and-"
"Tylor?? You're kidding right? What does he want?"
"He wants to talk. I was actually hoping you might put Mia and Myk to bed for me?" I asked with a cheesy grin on my face.
" Are you sure you wanna do this?" She HAD to ask. As if I wasn't doubting the whole situation in my mind already. I took a deep breath.
"Yes."
"Okay. If this is what you want..."
"Thanks A, you're the best." I ran back down the stairs and grabbed my black sweater off the coat rack.
"Ready?"

No comments:

Post a Comment