Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Where to Start

In the door and up the stairs
Tis there I did believe
Around the corner there was a room
Waiting just for me.

I walked right through the threshold
And pounced upon the bed
I grabbed a pillow in my hands
And in it buried my head.

As I fought to hold back tears
The doorknob started to turn
The door had opened just a bit
To reveal a face so stern.

His face suddenly loosened
To show me he wasn't just a man
But a father watching over me
A man trying truly to understand.

A few words were exchanged in quiet
“Last night you gave me a scare”
I looked him in the eye to respond
“It's nothing new or rare.”

He hangs his head to his chest
And wishes with all his heart
He could help me take the pain away
But he doesn't know where to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment